Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Historical Investigation, Day 3 - Class Recap

The statue of George Washington outside Federal Hall, in New York City. Washington was inaugurated here and this is where the first US capitol was. Yesterday, we had school off because of Presidents Day, which recognizes Washington's birthday.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for checking in with the blog today! Lots of important information here, especially about Part C of your Historical Investigation. Keep reading!

Learning Targets Addressed:
SS.HS.RE.ALT.04: I can use evidence from my research to effectively address the research topic.
SS.HS.CO.ALT.01: I can organize ideas in a logically sequenced manner and in a way that is appropriate to the content area.
SS.HS.CR.ALT.04: I can evaluate information and explanations within a given context and develop a relevant conclusion.
SS.HS.RE.ALT.02: I can access relevant information from multiple and varied sources.
SS.HS.CR.ALT.05: I can justify and support arguments or interpretation with appropriate evidence.

Soundtrack: “Dreams” by Fleetwood Mac. Selected because it was mentioned as a band someone liked, because of the amount of rain forecast for today, and because I enjoyed reading about your dreams in the letters you wrote to me! Lyrics here.

AGENDA 2/18/14:
News Brief
Class Unity Activity
OPVL Guidance
Historical Investigation Work

Homework:  Keep working on your historical investigation (due next Friday)! Check the blog and post a comment if you have not already done so! Lauren has the next news brief.

News Brief: Israel had the news brief today and chose an article about this story: CNN.com - 'Lethal' drinking game sweeps social media. This is such a crazy story. Please, please be smart, both about social media and about drinking. It can be seriously unhealthy. Moving on!

Class Unity Activity: I always love this, for many reasons. One, because I love hearing about how everyone came to be in our classroom. Two, because of how the yarn connects us all. Three, because it helps the class (and me) learn names and a little about each other! Thank you for participating in this. It can get lengthy, I know, but I value it so much more than just lecturing for that time.

OPVL Guidance: Here come the links! After the yarn activity, I talked about Part C of your historical investigation, which is about an analysis of two of your sources, using the Origin, Purpose, Value, and Limitation criteria. This is what was passed out in class:



I went over this packet of further examples, to try and drive home the point about how to analyze your evidence using OPVL:


Hopefully, this really helped with understanding what I will be looking for in Part C of your Historical Investigation. You are just doing this for TWO of your sources used in Part B. This could probably be done effectively in about a page, double spaced (so half a page for each source).

Historical Investigation Work: The rest of class was devoted to working on Part C and checking in with me about how everything is going. Next class, we will go to the computer lab again to keep working on it. On Monday, I will talk about your analysis and conclusion sections. Wednesday will be for peer review and edits, then next Friday will be the turn in day. Sounds like a plan? Please let me know if you are confused or in need of any help with this! See you next class!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)