Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Civil Rights, Day 7 - Class Recap

Something I am passionate about (relating the activist project) is promoting women's soccer, ever since one of my friends in high school played at the University of Portland. This is a photo of the season opening "tifo" display in the crowd last season for the Portland Thorns professional soccer team.

Hi everyone,

Welcome to another class recap! Back in the full swing of things after the break. Here's what we did today:

Learning Targets Addressed:
SS.HS.KN.ALT.17: I can explain the process of change and continuity in a society, place or region.
SS.HS.KN.ALT.19: I can explain the role and impacts of social hierarchies.
SS.HS.CO.ALT.01: I can organize ideas in a logically sequenced manner and in a way that is appropriate to the content area.

Soundtrack: “Comin’ From Where I’m From” by Anthony Hamilton. Selected because your activist project should explain why you are passionate about changing something - coming from where you're from. Lyrics here.

AGENDA 4/2/14:
News Brief
Finish The Differences Between Us
Library Research

Homework: Have elements 3 + 4 (along with 1 + 2) done for your activism project. Read the blog! Next news brief: Abbey.

News Brief: Miles had the news brief today and selected this article: Today.com - More than 20 cases of measles in California due to 'unvaccinated children'. I talked about the supposed link between vaccines and autism, which has been thoroughly debunked, as far as I can tell. Please, get your shots and encourage others to do so! It is awful that children are getting unnecessarily sick and/or dying because of preventable illness.

After the news brief section, I passed back a proficiency grade from the Early Struggles readings. Those are in the gradebook now. Please ask if you are at all confused by what you got and why! I would love to explain in person.

Finish The Differences Between Us: If you missed class, here is the link to watch the part of the Race: The Power of Illusion documentary, titled "The Difference Between Us." MSU.edu - Race: Power of an Illusion.

The film guide that went along with this is here (keep for future reference): Google Drive - The Differences Between Us Film Questions.

I enjoyed our talk after the documentary about it. Like I said, I think it is a pretty powerful way to think about the concept of race - in that biologically, it does not exist, but socially, it has a huge impact on our day to day experience.

Library Research: The rest of the class was devoted to library research on the activism project. I tried to get around to every student to check in about where everyone was at. There were some really great ideas! Remember that you need to have three sources, cited in MLA format. I also want you to propose (you do not actually have to do it) a plan of action of how you might actually be able to help further your cause.

Please let me know if I can help with this process! See you next class!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)